Sunday, April 11, 2010

Nike and Tiger...really?

Last week in class a Wieden+Kennedy media buyer came in an spoke to our class. Although she was a great speaker, one of the main things that stuck out in my mind, that I wished I asked, was about the new Tiger Woods spot for Nike. I may be wrongfully assuming that they produced the spot, however, since they are the agency of record for Nike I think it is a pretty good assumption. The spot which can be found here, shows a silent Tiger staring blankly into the camera. The voice in the commercial is his late father Earl Woods. Earl is giving his son advice, such as "I want to find out what your feelings are. And did you learn anything?" The spot is emotional and intriguing, however, is it ethical?!

Many things about this spot scream no! To begin, I believe that one's private life should be kept private, with that being said, should any additional attention be drawn to what Tiger has done? Is he simply defaming himself even more or is he trying to somehow repent for his sins by bringing his dead father into an ad?

Although I understand that Nike is trying to own up to one of their celebrity endorsor being a complete mess up, this ad in NO way makes me want to buy anything having to do with Nike. I believe that the ad makes Tiger seem like he is getting out scott-free and even makes matters worse by bringing his dead father into the mix.

Will I still by Nike stuff? Obviously, it is a great brand that makes quality products and has had YEARS of great celebrity endorsers.
Will I still by Nike stuff because of this ad or Tiger Woods? Probably not. Although I am not in the target audience that Tiger is trying to capture, I believe that this advertisement would make me feel worse about Tiger. I believe that the ad illustrates Tiger as a sell out, especially for bringing his deceased father back from the grave (kind of creepy). It also makes me feel semi-ill that Nike would allow something to be created like that.





No comments:

Post a Comment